Mar 13, 2012

Here Come the Girl Scouts!


Here Come the Girl Scouts! by Shana Corey
Illustrated by Hadley Hooper
Published by Scholastic Press
2012

     One hundred years ago, on March 12, 1912 Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low invited a group of girls in Savannah, Georgia to the first official Girl Scout meeting.  Daisy, an adventurous woman, spent time in Britain where she learned about the Boy Scouts and their sister group, the Girl Guides.  She knew she needed to bring that concept to America. She wanted to make sure girls had an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, survive in the wilderness, and more than anything, that they had the chance to develop their confidence, become resourceful, and always stay kind.  With time the Girl Scouts grew to become a nationwide organization that still continues to "unite, inspire, and empower girls."
    Here Come the Girl Scouts! it's a wonderful picture book biography.  It's impossible not to fall for Daisy's spirit and passion.  Now, I have to be honest, till I read this book, the only thing I really knew about the Girls Scouts was how much I loved those Thin Mints and Samoas.  After reading Here Come the Girl Scouts! I'm not only a fan of Daisy and her gumption, but I now feel like I have to find a Girl Scout troop so my little girl can be a part of this somehow.  The text by Corey flows effortlessly, with wonderful quotes scattered throughout the book, (my favorite: Whatever you take up, do it with all your might) and an author note  full of interesting anecdotes.  Hooper's illustrations are delightful and playful, a great companion to a non-fiction book that manages to be charming and inspiring.  Wonderful addition to a biography classroom collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment