Dec 24, 2011

The Night Before Christmas


The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
Illustrated by James Marshall
Published by Scholastic
2004

     In case you didn't know it by now, I did not grow up in the United States.  I spent most of my childhood in Venezuela and a couple of years in Spain.  Christmas in Caracas, Venezuela was really different;  It has become a lot more Americanized now, but when I was a kid, we didn't really talk about Santa Claus...for us it was Baby Jesus who brought the presents (how did a new born child manage to deliver the presents? don't ask...we didn't question it at all).
     I'm now an American citizen, and Santa has become a big part of our Christmas, especially because I have a 4 and a 2 year old at home.  We've developed some traditions around this time and one of them is reading The Night Before Christmas. I know there are many editions out there, but I love this one because of Marshall's illustrations.  It brings a whole cast of droll characters into the story: cat, bulldogs, chickens...
     I'm off to enjoy my Christmas Eve, so I leave you with:

But I heard him exclaim,
ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all,
And to all a good night."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment