Apr 8, 2011

City Dog, Country Frog

City Dog, Country Frog

City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems
Illustrated by Jon J Muth

     I've been a Mo Willems' fan since we fell in love with his Knuffle Bunny (if you haven't read it yet, get it and its two follow ups immediately).  It's such a big part of my boy's life that he has a bunny he sleeps with called Bunnynuffle (he heard the story in Spanish many times, so I think that's why he switched the order of the words in the name).  When I came across City Dog, Country Frog I was surprised to see the Willems hadn't done his own illustrations but once I started reading I wasn't disappointed.  Jon J. Muth watercolors are absolutely beautiful and bring a level of tenderness to this wonderful story of friendship.
     City Dog and Country Frog share a year playing together.  We see them learn about each other through the seasons and developing an unexpected and beautiful friendship.  The story is truly touching and sweetly explores the circle of life and the joy of true friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment