Oct 14, 2011

My Rhinoceros


My Rhinoceros by Jon Agee
2011

      There are many exotic pets out there. But one you don't expect a kid to buy is a rhinoceros.  As he himself said, "I didn't really know what I was getting into."  His rhino was quiet and shy, and mostly kept to himself.  The biggest problem was that it just didn't do the things you would want your pet to do: it didn't fetch or rollover. "He didn't do anything [...] Maybe he was a clunker. Maybe I should have bought a hippopotamus instead."  A lady told him that rhinoceros only do two things: pop balloons and poke hole in kites.  So, when a couple of robbers were getting away from a bank heist, one in a balloon and another in a kite, the rhinoceros sprung into action.  Who would have thought a rhinoceros could do so much?   
     My Rhinoceros is a delightful read aloud full of humor and wonder.  Agee's timeless illustrations are wonderful as usual.  This quirky tale will awaken children's imaginations who will surely ask for more than one reading.   
     

Other books by Jon Agee on this blog:

The Incredible Painting of Felix Clousseau

Milo's Hat Trick

The Retired Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment