Oct 10, 2011

Pete the Cat. I Love My White Shoes

Pete the Cat. I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin
Illustrated by James Dean
2008

Pete is a cool cat. He was walking down the street wearing his brand new white shoes and singing a song about how much he loved them: "I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes." Then he stepped on large pile of strawberries. His white shoes turned red so, instead of getting upset about it, he changed his song: "I love my red shoes, I love my red shoes, I love my red shoes." Blueberries turn the shoes blue, mud turns them brown, and water makes them white again, but wet. "I love my wet shoes, I love my wet shoes, I love my wet shoes."
Pete the Cat. I Love My White Shoes is a wonderful read aloud. The repetitive text makes it predictable which encourages children to say the words out loud along with the reader. Pet delivers the message that no matter what happens you should keep going and sing along "because it's all good." As you read, you could make up your own song -which my son decided to do- or you could visit the author's site, where you can download the song and read aloud for free. Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment